Thursday, August 26, 2010

I love learning new things every day

I love photography. It is my passion. Unfortunately, I had to tuck the "business" away for a bit as every thinks they are a photographer but in reality most are just "faux-tographers" and therefore stealing the business.
I have had some focus issues on my camera. To me in my view finder they look sharp. On the LCD of my camera they look sharp but when I pull it up in Photoshop --- BAM (yes, just like Emeril) they are OOF (Out of Focus). You can see steam coming out of my ears it is frustrating especially after a 10 min tantrum fest of trying to get my 4 yr old to take photos. No, he doesn't throw the fit, I do!
So I ran across the wonderful Pioneer Woman blog and ran across this handy little tid bit.



The question I am asked most frequently is “How do you get such good focus?”
I wrote a post for Ree a few years ago, and here it is:
The Secret to Focus
Yet I still receive frustrated emails and letters.
The writers wonder if it is the lens, if it is the camera, if it is them….
And for the longest time, all I could do was send folks over to Ree’s blog and hope something clicked.
Until one day, I got a message from a friend on Facebook. (Thank you Rosa!)
She mentioned that she was fiddling with her diopter and she was hoping that her focus would finally improve.
I had never heard of a diopter before this. I checked and found it in my manual and then on my camera.
I adjusted and adjusted again.
It is easy to do.
Here is the scoop: 
A diopter is a dial that adjusts for individual differences in vision.
If you have been struggling and struggling with your focus, perhaps your diopter is off.
Maybe you bumped it by accident.
Maybe someone else turned it.
Maybe you didn’t know it even existed.

It just so happens that my diopter was adequate for my eye sight. I just lucked out.
But gosh, if you are struggling, you’ve got to give it a try!
My diopter is on the right side of my camera near the auto flash. It has a plus and minus symbol on it.

DSC_2908-arrowree

On my camera I pull out the diopter dial, let the camera focus on something, then turn the little diopter dial until the picture I am looking at is sharp as can be.
Push the little diopter back in and see what you think.
That’s all there is to it!
The diopter: A little tool with big possibilities.
Encourage one another,
Miz Booshay

Im going to have to try this out. Hurry, where is my camera. Oh crappers, it is downstairs. NATURALLY!!!!
I will let you know how it went with that if I can get my 4 yr old to pose for some more photos. Until then, here are just 2 that I managed to get somewhat in focus the last time.



No comments: